Sunday, February 24, 2008

“Winter Blues Brings Cold’s Too”

Everyone knows when winter comes, summer is over and the blues of winter start to surface. That is not all, colds come too. I will give you a few tips of what I do to prevent the common cold. Now don’t get me wrong, some colds are not preventable. And still to this day, there are no cures for the common cold. But hey, I can at least give you from my point of view some ways you might can bypass it.


Well for me, the number one way to avoid a cold is to wash your hands. Keeping your hands clean, can be very effective in keeping away cold causing germs and bacteria. Besides hand washing with hot water not cold. You can use germ killing aids such as Hand Sanitizer or anti-bacteria wipes. You usually can find these at you local grocery store or drug store. Hand sanitizers are very effective in killing germs. It consists of an alcohol based ingredient that kills 99.9% germs. There is only one con with it, it will dry out your hands. If you don’t get the aloe or vitamin E type. Otherwise I highly recommend using this. Bacterial type wipes that kill germs are also good.


Since germs and bacteria are what causes people to get sick, it is not always easy to avoid them, but if you happen to come in contact with them, you must kill them.
There are some myths to cure the common cold. I feel that they help you feel a little less uncomfortable. But they will not cure your cold. To me, rest and sleep is really the only cure to the common cold. You must wait until the cold dies or wears off. In other words, your body must fight off the germ causing the cold.


They say Vitamin C helps to prevent the common cold. I see this to be true. I have tried this and found after taking regular doses of Vitamin C, I rarely got sick. Nowadays, people are drinking Green Tea, which I found also to be helpful in preventing common cold symptoms. These things are good, but not when you are actually sick. Once the cold is in you, that’s it. You must wait until it has run out of you.


So besides washing you hands and taking vitamins, the only other thing I can think of doing would be to keep warm during the cold season. And if you are in contact with a person who has a cold, do not share eating and drinking utensils. Now if what they have is an airborne germ or cold, try to avoid being too close to them. I have caught many colds from a person with an airborne germ. Just by the person sneezing or coughing. The air can be filled with germs in seconds, and anyone who is in the same room will breathe in these germs.


So there you have it. Germs and bacteria are what cause a nasty cold or the flu. Keep your hands clean, drink herbal teas, and take Vitamin C regularly. You may just bypass those common cold blues. But if you happen to catch a cold, drink warm fluids, eat healthy, some chicken noodle soup will help. Get rest, and sleep, and maybe you could find some other over the counter cold medicines. These may rush up your healing
process. They also help you sleep and get all the rest you’ll need.


Well that’s my two cents.

Stay warm and cold free.

No comments: